Petechial Rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Petechial Rash

Five days ago a fist sized rash appeared on my inner thigh and quickly developed over only a few minutes. At the time I naively did not think to test it with a glass, now that I have done so I notice that it does not fade and resembles images of a petechial rash. Since it's been five days and there are no other symptoms and no spreading/worsening of the rash it can't be meningitis. I am aware this kind of rash is also connected with other ailments however.

The rash is located in the same place as some heavy bruising from an injury sustained two weeks ago and the night the rash occurred someone spiked my drink with what I later found out was speed. Could the raised blood pressure caused by the amphetamine coupled with the prior capillary damage have resulted in this rash?

It can be a bruise or ecchymosis and it is due to the trauma you had which caused bruising. It does not seep to the addition of amphetamine with the drink which could have caused allergies rather than bruising.  Ecchymosis is a subcutaneous hematoma larger than 1cm. Petechiae are pinpoint-sized red dots under the surface of the skin. They are common after skin trauma and viral infections and usually blanch with pressure but they don’t go away completely.
To confirm the diagnosis, I suggest you to get it examined from a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks for responding. My doctor ordered a blood test to rule out leukemia on the basis that he hadn't seen anything like it before that wasn't leukemia, despite it being attributed to a dozen other ailments. I would rather he hadn't of worried me like that but it has thankfully come back negative for any cancer markers and the platelet count is normal. I have been referred to a dermatologist but my doctor doesn't think it is anything serious now.