Phenol burn!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Phenol burn!

6208893?1286133626
Hello all. Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this but its the nearest I could find to my problem.
Almost 2 weeks ago I had my big toenail removed. This was the second time even though the first should have been a permanent removal but for some reason 3/4 of the nail grew back.
2 days after surgery I had a dressing changed and things looked ok. A week later when I went for my second dressing change I have a rather bad phenol burn going from both corners of the removed nail area running down my toe towards my second toe. The burn itself is extremely sore and Ive been told to bathe the toe in salt water but this is making the burn area well burn. I'm going to follow up a complaint with my doctor but I dont see her until the 13th. Im here to ask whether salt water could cause more damage or to carry on bathing my toe eevy two days? Alternatively is there anything I can use on the burn to speed healing and prevent scaring.
I have enclosed a picture.
Many thanks.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Were they using phenol for cleaning? Normally phenol is not used. Also the burn if it is due to phenol should be treated with plain water or with isopropyl alcohol. The reaction could be due to any cleaning agent or antibiotic cream being used. Meanwhile keep the area dry. Clean with cool water. At the dressing center show this burn and ask for the reason. Avoid the suspected item while cleaning. Try and pre pone the appointment with the doctor of consult your PCP meanwhile. Hope this helps. Take care!
Hello, thanks for your reply.
The phenol was used to burn the nailbed to stop regrowth. Two days after surgery I had my first dressing change and then the next one a week later. Nothing was put on the toe in the meantime except water (which the nurse cut from a sealed bag) to clean the area. It was on the second dressing change I saw the burn.
I had the surgery at a neighbouring surgery and I had to go to my own for the dressing change. I have had this toe done twice now and my other toe done and I didn't suffer anything like this both those times.
I know it was phenol used as I had to sign a consent form but only for the use of it not for the miss-use of it. When applying it he has let drip down my toe without any effort to clean the area.

My apologies I dont understand this: Try and pre pone the appointment with the doctor of consult your PCP meanwhile.

Many thanks.
Sorry, what I mean to say is that try and see the doctor who did the surgery at the earliest.