Dermatology Expert Forum
Pigmentation Loss

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Pigmentation Loss
My 8 year old daughter is  half English and West Indian, with light golden skin.  She has had a small patch of slightly 'lighter, pinker' skin on her cheek since she was born. She has used emollients all her life because her skin is generally dry anyway. However this patch seems to have spread across her whole cheek so that when you look closely there is almost a slight dappled effect of golen and pink skin.  There are now two patches on her other cheek , that are again pinker than her normal skin colour, but not white.  Sometimes these patches can look ever so slightly dry, but they are never raised, cracked, or itchy.
On her arm, just above her wrist there seems to be two very small white patches measuring only millimetres.  These two very small patches do not have the same 'pinky pigmentation' of the patches on her face.

Is this some form of ezcema.  
She is beginning to notice these patches more now as she becomes aware of her appearance.  PLease help
Rachie:

While I cannot be certain from your description, it may be that your daughter has pityriasis alba.  This is a mild and self-limiting form of eczema, which produces mild scaling and partial, but not complete, skin lightening on cheeks and shoulders.  In any case, it is temporary.  It seems that the original birth change is not the same thing.

For your own peace of mind, have a dermatologist check it oout.

Best.

Dr. R
Can you recommend some cosmetic stain or stains that can be
used to cover small spots or patches of vitilgo on the legs
in the shin area.

Thank you
Try Covermark or Dermablend cosmetics.  ASR
I have white discolered patches under my breasts. They are quite
large. Do you know what this is?
dr.My 8 year old daughter has just been refered to a dermatoligest,fo s skin disorded that is effecting mostly her
right leg and looks extremly tight and dry. she also has this
one her arms but mostly red spots and areas of hardend skin.
her right leg is smaller than the left. what do you think this
is? I heard a name in the pediatric dermatolgy book.could you
please give me insight? thank you!