Dermatology Expert Forum
Pigmentation problem on skin above lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Pigmentation problem on skin above lip

I've always had sun spots around my nose and cheeks.  However, a few weeks ago I began to notice pigmentation problems on the skin above my upper lip.  Specifically, when I wore foundation, I noticed a darker area above my lip, which almost looked like a mustache from far away.  In addition, a white spot recently appeared on the same area ~0.5 cm in length.  See photos #1, #2, and #3 at www.sover.net/~toray

What is causing the dark spots and this strange white spot to show up?  A cosmetologist recommended a product called Vantex, which contains 2% hydroquinone, 5% methoxycinnamate, 1.5% oxybenzone, to lighten the dark spots - but I haven't tried it yet.  Is it safe to use this Vantex product?  Will it make the white spot even more pronounced?  I was concerned that it might be tinea versicolor - and I also read that skin cancer can show up as a white spot.  I would appreciate any advice you might be able to provide regarding the diagnosis and any way to get rid of the dark spots as well as the white spot.

Also, I have a growth on my leg - see photos #4 and #5 - that has been there for months.  I wondered if it was a mole or wart or possibly something to be concerned about.  Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Good pictures.

The facial condition is chloasma (sometimes called melasma.)  Usually occurs in women, aggravted by sun.  Blamed on pregnancy and hormones but shouldn't be.

The cream recommended is a good start.  If that (plus the coming of fall) doesn't help, a dermatologist can prescribe stronger products.

The leg bump looks like a dermatofibroma--common in women also and benign.  Show your doctor next time you go.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I have just recently been experiencing darkened skin on the upper lip over the past several months.  I am 32 years old and have been on birth control pills for 15 years and have never had a problem (i've been reading that this may be the cause?)  But I also got  a lot more sun this year than i usually do and i'm thinking that could be more likely the issue.  What do you recommend for treatment?  I'd prefer not to go off the birth control pills if possible.

around close to a month ago i noticed a black pot on my bottom lip normally it wouldnt be a problem but i have a pink bottom lip. then  a couple of days later another spot appeared on my lip. i went to a doctor pedetrictrian im 16. he told me it was because i bit my lip constantly and just to use vaseline and stop biting my lip. i took his advice and now the spots are growing there is a third spot thats growing rapidly. i know it can be a lip bitting habit so whats causing this horrible pigmentation.
A related discussion, Dark Patch On Upper Lip was started.
A related discussion, dermatofibroma was started.
i thread my hair above upperlip regularly , eventualy it makes da area too smooth but i hav realisd dat my upperlip has a hint like a shaved mustache in men even when dr iz no hair. It dont kw if it is due to hair underskin or some kind of pigmentation. My dermatologist suggestd me to use "nadoxin" on my upperlip area evry night, bt i cnt feel the diffrence