Pilar Cysts?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Pilar Cysts?

Ever since I was a child I noticed a small, pea sized bump in my scalp. I never knew what it was and I left it alone until I noticed new ones growing in various places (I have 4 now, all which are smaller than the original one). I asked my mother once if she knew and sure enough I got my answer. Turns out she has the same condition and she told me that it was possible to get them removed. I did some research online and figured out that they're Pilar Cysts (since those are genetic). They really bother me since they're on my scalp in weird places and they also tend to change in size, something grow, sometimes shrink and it's just unpleasant to run my fingers through my hair and feel all these weird bumps.
I know that they have to be surgically extracted. But I'm wondering how that's done exactly? I came across a website that illustrates and describes in detail how the procedure is done; however, my recent research on the issue presented other possibilities on how to remove such cysts. Has anyone had them removed, and if so how is the procedure typically done?
Thanks!
Actually, I have just undergone a pilar cyst surgery. Firstly, the doctor would inject several doses of anaesthesia (depending on the size of the cyst). Then, he would use a doctors' punch and make a hole on top of the cyst. Next, he would use a scissors to cut open the cyst and squeeze the fatty material or dead hair material out of the cyst (Most of the time, the material that comes out of the cyst is fatty material). Lastly, he would do a few stiches on the operated cyst. For me, it was only 4 stiches. Anyway, it depends on the size of the wounded part.

You do not have to worry, because usually it takes like up to 7-8 mins for the operation to be completed.

The stiches would break off after 2 weeks or so. If it doesn't, please consult the doctor to request for him to help remove the stiches on your operated part.

DOs:
1) Get more rest.
2) Consume more nutritional food and fruits.
3) Stay in cool or air-conditioned places most of the time.

DON'Ts
1) Go to the swimming complex. (It will make your wound even worse.)
2) No vigorous exercise. (It will make your wound break if you do such exercises.)
3) Eat slow-recovery foods like prawns etc.

Take care and you'll be fine with a speedy recovery.
Pilar cysts certainly run in my family too. I've had 3 removed in the last 10 years (a relatively painless procedure), and I know my mother and sister have each had several removed too. I'm currently participating in a study at the University of Colorado Denver with Dr. Richard Spritz to find the genetic cause of them.  If anyone else is interested in participating you might want to contact him for info.