Dermatology Expert Forum
Pimple / Boils

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Pimple / Boils

Approximatly 10 years ago I had developed large boils on my backside, (bum), and went to the doctor to have them assesed.

I was placed on some antibiotics and it did not seem to do very much. This has happened a few times now, and all to no avail.

Possibly an aid in diagnosis is that they only ever appear in the same areas, (both cheeks). Would this give you any indication as to what this may be, as I think I have stumped many.

It may be well to note that the infected area's can be slightly painful, (no more than a large pimple) and are completely gone, without trace in 2-3 weeks max.

Thanks,

Dave
Dave:

A commmon problem: annoying, and hard to treat, but not serious.

You are describing folliculitis, "blocked pores."  Try this: in the drugstore, get Hibiclens, a nonprescription antiseptic cleanser, and shower with that.  Second, get bacitracin ointment (alos OTC), and apply it daily both to the pimples and inside your nostrils--often there are staph germs lurking there without causing symptoms, and you can suppress them by bathing them in antibiotic for a couple of months.  Keep this regimen up until the boils go away.  They always do, but it may take time.  If they continue to trouble you, have your doctor take another look.

And they're not contagious, by the way.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thanks Doc! Very helpful.

Regards,

Dave
I have visited this sight on multiple occasions and I have yet to be able to post ... ! I have tried several time throughout the day I even tried for a 1 whole week solid .. 12am 3am 6am 9am 10am 1pm and so... to no avail!!
This it how it is for everyone. You have to keep trying. It is not a conspiracy! There is only so many posts a day. I had to go through it to post so does everyone else. It's just the way it goes. Look down the page (about 26 Questions) and you'll see the one that says "Red Spots On Penis" by S.D.
Under this question you'll find a comment/question by "Daily Post Limits?" (same question as yours) There is also a comment/reply from Med Help International explaining how it works. Once you find this out, it helps you understand. At least it helped me. Hope this helps you.
I too have the same problem dave described there.  for this reason i am embarassed to wear a bathing suit or shorts.  This prblem is so annoying.
Why is it important to see a doctor when you hve a boil