Dermatology Expert Forum
Pimple Like at the corner of my mouth

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Pimple Like at the corner of my mouth

I want to start off by saying that I am a 28yo male in good health. Small history of folliculitus (folliculitis) on my body and some pimples here and there on my chin. Confirmed by my derm. On friday I noticed something under my skin at the corner of my mouth. It was a bit sensitive but nothing too much there visually. It felt as if i would be getting a pimple or a blind pimple. I put some acne medicine on it and went to bed. On sat morning I noticed a red pimple like bump had formed and it was painful. Going against what I have been told, I tried popping it but failed. I just irritated it a bit I think. If this were anywhere else on my face I would chalk it up to an angry pimple. since it is on the corner/boarder of my mouth my mind starts wondering. By sunday morning after more acne drying medicine I noticed it had a whitehead on it. I popped it and some puss came out.I put rubbing alcohol on it to dry it up.  by the afternoon more puss had come to a head. I put pressure to get the rest of it out w/ more alcohol after. it is now monday morning and it is still a bit sensitive, a bit dry and still one (smaller than yesterday) red bump at the corner of my mouth.

No yellow crust and never what I would consider a cluster. I have not experienced cold sores growing up but I'm sure you know where I'm going w/ this one. I can remember canker sores growing up but never on the outside.

What does this sound like?? The dreaded cold sore?? An infection from me shaving too close to the corner of my mouth; fresh shave two days prior ( sensitive at corners)?? Folliculitus (folliculitis)?? Acne??

I have seen a number of posts similar to mine. I wanted to address my specific post w/ you though. Thank you for being so patient.

Thank you for reading through yet another cold sore question!

hope I was clear w/ question

Have a nice afternoon
Bumps at the corner of the mouth are usually pimples/folliculitis rather than herpes cold sores, which are usually more toward the center of the lip.  I recommend that you apply bacitracin or neosporin ointment once a day, leave the spot alone, and photograph it in case you want to show the photo to your dermatologist at some point.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Doc, I have a pic of will you take a look and render an opinion...not a diagnosis? also, is it possible to attach or past a pic in the message box?
A related discussion, pimle on the corner of my mouth was started.