Dermatology Expert Forum
Pimple in ear

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Pimple in ear

4 days ago I noticed a painful swelling in front of my right ear (near my jawbone).  After some investigation, I noticed what appeared to be a pimple just inside the part of my ear next to my cheek.  This also was very painful.  At times, the pain would shoot up my head.

2 days after I noticed this lump, I went to see my PCP.  He looked inside my ear and said I had a blind pimple that was causing the lump.  He said it was best to leave it alone and it could take 7-10 days to go away.

Although the pimple inside my ear is now better, the lump in front of my ear is not.  It appears to be the same size (like a small marble) and is still painful to the touch.  Could this possibly be a cancerous tumor that my doctor is missing?  If the lump is, in fact, related to the pimple, how long can it take before it goes away?  How can a pimple inside the ear cause a painful lump like this?

Thank you.
No, I don't think cancer is even on the list of possible diagnoses.  After an infection (such as a blind pimple) goes away, there is a swelling in the skin and under it which may last for months.  Gradually, the body reabsorbs it.  It's best not to squeeze or probe the bump, as that will make it last longer.  The pain and tenderness will subside a lot faster than the lump.  If you're still anxious, show the doctor again.  But it doesn't sound like cancer or anything serious, for that matter.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, bumps behind ear was started.