Pimple like bump that won't go away

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Pimple like bump that won't go away

I have had this small pimple like bump on my bum for about 6 months.  When i first got it, i was sure it was a pimple, i squeezed it and thought it was popped but it keeps coming back.  Its about the size of a pimple and has a small black center like a blackhead. It hasn't grown, or changed at all in 6 months  It dosn't really bother me except when i pick at it. Any suggestions for what this might be? or how to get rid of it?
Avatar dr f tn

Is this bump painful?

Does it drain with pus?

Differentials for your case will be a comedone and a boil. A comedone is a small bump that may have a small black center.This center may be popped and one may see a whitish or pus like material.A comedone develops when dead skin and products from your sweat and oil glands clog up a hair follicle.

A boil is a bacterial infection caused by staphylococcus bacteria.This is a larger bump that may be very tender and may eventually grow large in a few hours to days.The bump may eventually drain with pus.

Apply a warm compress over the area to ease the swelling and tenderness if present. A topical antibiotic may be able to help.Comedones may get infected ,so I suggest that you refrain from unnecessarily picking the area.Seek consult with your primary physician and have this assessed. Observe good hygiene and use only mild soap to wash the area. Avoid prolonged sitting.

This does not sound like an urgent case. Just avoid picking at it if it doesn't bother you.Your physician may use more sterile techniques to help you extract it.