Dermatology Expert Forum
Pimple that turned into skin growth

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Pimple that turned into skin growth

About a year ago I noticed what looked like a pimple on my nose.  It was sore and really red.  I tried to pop it but very little if any puss came out and mainly just got more sore and bled.  After a period of time the swelling went down and the redness went away but a small skin growth remained.  It is a small skin colored growth that is not really noticeable unless you know about it.  I similar growth appeared again on my nose a short while later.  Now I have showed these to a dermatoligist who said that she would need to freeze them and remove them.  What she didnt say is what they were and what caused them and if there was anything I could do to remove them myself?  I have tried to kind of pick them off, but they just bleed and then when they heal they return the same as before.   Sometimes they are more noticeable then other days.  Seems like when my face is oily then are real noticeable and not as noticeable when my skin is drier.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JC
Whatever they are, I'm pretty sure you can't remove them yourself.  If you keep after them, they're sure to remain and look red.

The dermatologist most likely thought they were beign growths of some sort (perhaps moles.)  Otherwise, she wouldn't have suggested removing them by a superficial means like freezing.

As to what she thinks they are, since you took the trouble to pay her a visit, whey not call and ask her?

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
What kind of an answer was that ?
That was more a sarcastic comment than a helpful insight.
Thanks for nothing.
My patients call me all the time to clarify what I did and what I meant.  That's one of the things doctors are for.  If this patient's dermatologist made a diagnosis and suggested a treatment, why shouldn't the patient ask for clarification?  How can someone who never saw the problem be any better?

Dr. Rockoff