Pimple that wont heal

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Pimple that wont heal

I have a small, pimple-sized bump above my lip that has been there for a few weeks.  It is darker than a pimple and when I have scratched at it is not filled with pus but with blood.  Once opened, it bleeds and bleeds.  Is this something I should be concerned about?
I could be wrong but it sounds like a boil or something, I would definitely see a doctor about this. If it is a boil etc. it could lead to infection.  
Just an update--got it looked at and it's a cherry angioma.  Fairly common, non-cancerous.  Info for anyone who may have similar symptoms!
Cherry angiomas are made up of clusters of tiny capillaries at the surface of the skin, forming a small round dome ("papule"), which may be flat topped.
The underlying cause for the development of cherry angiomas is not understood, so nothing can be predicted about their prevention but rest assured; they are harmless. If they are to be removed for cosmetic reasons, electrosurgery and cryosurgery can be used. More recently pulsed dye laser or Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatment are also used.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers