Dermatology Expert Forum
Pin-prick Itchiness

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Pin-prick Itchiness

Something in my house or in my head is making me itch.  It's often in my bed, my sofa, and in the dustier corners of my house.  I suspected dust mites, but I have no respiratory problems at all, and no rashes, bumps, or welts.  There are no visible critters creeping across my body, but it sure feels like it.  What I feel are tiny pin-pricks, sometimes just three or four, then many, all over me, sometimes even my eyelids.  They are irritating and intensely specific enough to wake me up, especially if I am warm and comfy.  It sometimes helps to throw the covers off and walk around, but in the dead of winter, I can't really do that for long.  I'm usually attacked at 3 or 4 in the morning and get some relief toward dawn, as though the critters synchronized their venomous assault like African fire ants.  I have no pets, but do live in a wooded area and have a heat pump which blows in who knows what from outside.  Does this sound like an allergy, an infestation, a skin problem (my Mom has sensitive, rash-prone skin), or a painfully real imagination?  I don't usually itch in anyone else's (usually cleaner) house, and I do hate to see guests scratch in mine.
Very tough to answer your question.  You don't say how long this has been going on.  When you say that you hate to see guests scratch in your house, I assume that they actually don't.

Most rashes or infestations that itch as much as you do cause a rash, at least after a while.  If there is no visible manifestation at all, then a psychological explanation does seem plausible.  I would recommend, however, that you see a skin doctor both for eva,uation and a blood test.  Although liver and other systemic abnormalities are not at all likely, they need to be ruled out.

In the meantime, I suggest that you apply a topical anesthetic lotion like Sarna (no Rx needed.)  Keep it at the bedside for ready application.  The antihistamines Benadryl (25 mg) and chlortrimeton (4-8 mg) may also help tide you over, and may even "break the cycle" of itching and scratching.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff