Pinaful puss filled infection on thumb...Hurts, please help!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hi I am 16 and not too educated when it comes to medical purposes. I have what seems to be an infection. It is on my right thumb on the right side of the nail, it's red, painful, and the skin around the exact bottom corner of the nail is peeling and hard as a rock.It is also letting off heat which is odd. I asked my dad what it could be he said " It is probably just a over-grown nail." He suggested I pop with a needle. When I did so green puss came out. I figured nothing of it and tried again an hour later and an hour after that when nothing came out I was stumped. the whole thumb seems to be swollen now, and the other side of my thumb (Without the nail) is painful to even tap. I have no idea what this could be and worried that it could turn into a serious infection if not treated. I soaked it in alcohol but all that did was make it feel more painful and seem to make it worse. Please help!