Pink, Tender Scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Pink, Tender Scalp

Hi, I have a small patch of pink skin on my scalp that is tender and has previously been slightly itchy.  There is no flaking, no rash (bumps or spots), and no hair loss.  It has been going on for months, but has only become bothersome in the last few weeks.  I have tried dandruff shampoo and have taken a dose of oral diflucan (for an unrelated condition) since I first noticed the problem, and neither have helped.  The spot is about the size of an egg (maybe a little larger--right on the crown of my head), and it feels just like a sunburn.  I first noticed the problem about 2 months after giving birth, and it was only mildly irritating for several months.  In the last month, it has become more tender and for a few days was more itchy.  I have not changed shampoo/conditioner/hair products in years, and the condition did not come about from dyeing my hair, even though I have dyed it months after first noticing the condition.
This pink spot can be due to eczema skin or psoriasis skin and if there is any accompanying hair loss, then tinea capitis needs to be ruled out. Take some antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin and apply some calamine lotion on the rash. Also wear cotton clothes and keep the skin sweat free. If the symptoms persist then please get it examined from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for your response!  I am going to see the doctor this morning.