Pink Spots

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Pink Spots

Hello:

Since 10 or more years ago, my wife constantly has Pink Spots at different areas of her bodie, actual ones are in her back at waist level, 1 or 2 inches near to her butt.

Some other areas that suddenly appears are below her arms, or at different levels of her back, but more frequently on above mentioned area.

Suddenly it appears and takes long time to dissapear (months), the spots are different sizes, I think the bigger ones had 3 inches of circunference, but majority of the time are 2 inches or 1, the pink color is very soft and always has a samaller white circle inside (no water inside), she hasn't any rush and after several weeks it generates dry skin. Ssome times like now, a bruise  appears at the affected area that stay there for several weeks more.

Her doctor said that is caused by emotional/stress, but we are worry since it never dissapears after years.

Any help will be appreciated
By the way, Doctor recomend to use Clobetasol, she use it, and pink spots go away, but later it comes again, any opinion about clobetasol?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Clobetasol is used to treat the itching, redness, dryness, crusting, scaling, inflammation, and discomfort of various skin and scalp conditions such as eczema. When using this medication, it is important to follow the directions on the prescription label carefully and do not use clobetasol for longer than 14 days without your doctor's approval. Clobetasol can be absorbed into the body if used in large amounts and can cause harmful effects.  (ref: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a686008.html)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Other differentials for your wife's condition include possible infection or skin conditions such as eczema, which is an inflammation of the epidermis. Eczema presents with dryness and recurring skin rashes that may itch and become dry. Tinea versicolor, on the other hand, is a common chronic, noninflammatory and usually symptomless disorder. It is characterized by the occurrence of multiple patches of all sizes and shapes, and varying in pigmentation, from pale, dark tan, or pink with a reddish undertone that can darken.. This condition is produced by the proliferation of the lipophilic yeast, Malassezia furfur which is part of the normal flora of human skin (ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinea_versicolor) . Have this evaluated further for proper management. Treatment usually depends on the underlying cause.

Take care and keep us posted.
Thank you for your response.

I went and review the wikipidia link and it does not match with my wife's problem, my wife's dots are bigger and distributed, for example, right now, she has 1 on her leg (1 inch) and it is not completly a circle,  and 3 in her back, very close to her butt, but these are 2 inches each.

One of this last ones Spots, is very close to another one that appears 3 months ago, that one, she forgot to use clobetasol and after months it becomes to be a soft purple hematoma that does not go away.

She is 45 years old.

Any other clue?