Pitted Thumbnails
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I couldnt really find a specific place to post. I've had quite large "pitting" and horizontal ridges in both of my thumbnails for quite a few years now. No pain, swelling, or any other issues, just the cosmetic appearance that bothers me. I'm a healthy person with no underlying medical issues that I am aware of and blood pressure is normal (I read that blood pressure issues could cause this). I did notice them after I had gotten acrylic nails put on when I was about 18 or so, and they seemed to have gotten less noticable as the years went on but then I got acrylics again last year and the pits are really bad again. Could acrylic nails cause pitting and deep ridges like this? None of my other nails are affected and I am quite sure I did not get any infections from the acrylics. Like I said, I am not concerned it is anything serious, I've just always been curious as to why exactly this has happened.
Pitting of the nails, resembling a number of small dents, could be due to a skin condition known as psoriasis. Distorted nails can also be due to fungal infection, hardening of the arteries and vitamin deficiency.
I would suggest you to get it evaluated from a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.