Please help-puffy, swollen eyelids for months

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I have had puffy,swollen eyelids for months-ever since the day after my gallbladder surgery months ago. I have tried to go weeks without makeup (it only got worse), I've cut out all sorts of foods in case it was an allergy, I'm taking allergy medication (Reactin, Allegra) and started also trying Benedryl. I've changed my detergent for laundry, soaps, hair products-everything. I've got an upcoming appointment with the allergist, but I really believe something else is going on (I also frequently develop hives around the puffy eyes).Most mornings I wake up with my eyes almost swollen shut. I now have a patch of eczema under one eye. I tried special products, control creams, cortisone (in small amounts-I have to be careful since it is around my eye), vaseline...the list goes on. If anyone has any ideas, I'd welcome them!
There are many possibilities for puffy eyes and the chief causes include oversleeping/lack of sleep, diet, fluid retention, alcohol and tobacco use, allergies, skin disorders, crying, ononucleosis, thyroid disease, kidney disease and periorbital cellulitis. Treatment is diagnosis specific and for this you need to get all these causes ruled out.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I had something very similar about a year and a half ago, including the peeling eczema under my eyes. The eye doc felt it was allergies that turned into a lengthy infection.  I got antibiotic steroid eye drops and used them for 10 days.  I also was prescribed Pataday once a day before bed, and I use over the counter Alaway once or twice during the day, too.  The eczema went away, but bags didn't completely go away but they improved.  Every few days I use SteriLid in the shower to make sure my eyes and lashes are completely clean, and I never use gel eye drops anymore, only preservative free tear drops for moisturizing if needed.  And a good old fashioned clean cloth soaked with cold water on the eyes in the morning helps the gunk if I get it, too.
Hmmm, I wonder if it is an infection, perhaps? Thanks for the ideas:)))
Did you ever find the cause? I have had swollen eyelids every morning since my gallbladder surgery. I have tried everything. I still think it is NO coincidence!!
Yes, they did find the cause, turns out I have Hashimotos along with another autoimmune disease. My surgery only triggered it- but it has been here my whole life. The stress of the surgery was too much for my body.