Dermatology Expert Forum
Please help re: Mole changes/location and removal during pregnancy

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Hi Dr. Rockoff,
I have history of mm in-situ, family history of mm in-situ and hundreds of moles. I am newly pregnant and thrilled. I am also aware that pregnancy can cause changes to moles. I will be watched closely and will not just assume changes are from pregnancy. My questions are:

I have a new (few months old) small (1mm x 1-2mm or so) mole on my areola of all places. Is this a normal spot for moles?

It seems to have gotten darker already, but I am watching it for any other changes. I think I am going to want it off for peace of mind soon, but wondering about mole removal during pregnancy?

Are there any problems with local anethesia, stitches, etc during pregnancy? Any specific anesthetic to use or not use? Any other options besides local (milder) and lastly, if this is done during first trimester is that a problem? I am going to try my best to wait until 2nd trimester or at least 8-10 weeks along.

Wondering how common this is? One of my dermatologists said he does it all the time and the other said they try to avoid all excisions during pregnancy unless absolutely necessary, which is why I wanted your input. Peace of mind is important to me, not to mention, I couldn't even have it removed right after birth due to breast feeding. I am about 6 weeks along right now. But i do not want to do anything to jeapardize pregnancy of course!! Thanks!
From your description, I doubt that this mole needs to be removed, even with your history.  If your doctor feels otherwise, removal during pregnancy is certainly feasible  I use saline--salt--solution as an anesthetic, but even lidocaine is OK with most obstetricians I know.  Ask the doctor who follows your moles and knows you best.

Good luck with parenthood.

Dr. Rockoff
Dr. -- thanks for your response. Do you use saline-salt for everyone or only during pregnancy? Is that all that is in there, saline and salt? Thanks!!
A related discussion, Is this mole change normal? was started.