Plugged follicles on legs, can't shave!
I'm a 36 year old woman.  For as long as I can remember, after I shave my legs, many of the hairs grow back under the skin.  They either coil up, lay flat, or grown back into the follicle, but they are under the skin and often visible.  The hairs that do NOT become trapped still seem to be slightly recessed in the pore, so I can never get a smooth shave.  Shaving my legs again the next day is extremely uncomfortable and the razor can't get to the hair that is trapped under the skin.  Exfoliating doesn't release the hairs, and regularly applying lotion doesn't help.  I am fair-skinned with dark, coarse leg hair, so shaving in the direction of the hair doesn't help, since I then have visible stubble.  Nair and other hair removal creams similarly don't remove the entire hair.  I am still left with visible stubble.  

I haven't worn shorts, a skirt, or a bathing suit in at least 10 years.  

I do have very mild keratosis pilaris on my upper arms, but my leg situation seems to be different than KP.  

I am trying to save money for laser hair removal, but even this isn't a permanent solution, so I feel quite hopeless.  Can someone give me an idea of what's causing this problem with the hair/skin on my legs?  Thanks so much.