Pock Marks

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Pock Marks

My father has pock marks on his cheeks and I never thought I'd have the problem, but recently (age 26) I have begun to see these divets beginning to appear on my face as well. Are there any products/ methods to prevent this from happening or after they do appear is there any way to get rid of them?

Your concern can be understood. Scarring often occurs after chickenpox, especially in older children and adults. The scars are round and “punched-out” in appearance, and are commonly called pock marks. Most pock marks come from spots that were not picked or scratched, and mild cases of chickenpox cause pock marks as often as more severe cases.

There are many treatments available for scarring depending on the persons requirements and suitability. These treatments can be beneficial to varying degrees and your doctor is the best person to decide which is best suitable.

As a general guide the treatment options range from local applications, superficial procedures such as microdermabrasion to lasers and cosmetic surgery. To treat chicken pox scars skin specialists first reduce underlying fibrous adhesions and later  either perform a dermal filler or stimulate new collagen growth with  Non Ablative Laser Rejuvenation.

It will be difficult to recommend a particular treatment to you but there are many options and medicinal products available. The best would be to talk to your doctor and then decide which treatment works best.

It is also important to understand that the skin has its own repair mechanism and gradually the repair would bring significant change. At the same time, medications have their limitations and there is a limit to which they can benefit.

Hope this helped you in some way.

Let us know if you may have any other questions.

Regards

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers