Poison Ivy/Tender Ear Lobes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Poison Ivy/Tender Ear Lobes

I have had poison ivy for about 2 weeks now. Started out on my ankles and began (and still, but not as much) spreading to areas of: knees, arms, stomach region. I noticed that overnight (after taking prednisone for the first and LAST day...took a small dosage, couldn't stand the side effects so I was taken off of it) my ears became itchy, and then very tender, warm and red the next day. Also noticed dry skin just behind the ears. Is this something to be concerned about? anything I can do to treat it? Also, any advice for riding the poison ivy? Have tried several topical remedies that haven't been too effective.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

You may need oral antihistamines for this. Antihistamines may cause headaches and drowsiness so it is necessary that you avoid driving or operating machineries when you are on the medications. Prednisone is a corticosteroid and do have its own side effects. Application of topical corticosteroids aside from taking oral medications may be necessary.

This may be a case of urticaria. Also, contact or allergic dermatitis has to be ruled out. I would suggest prompt consult for this. Identify all possible known triggers and try to avoid these allergens as much as possible.

Have you had a skin test done already?
I have not had a skin test done. Should this be something I should contact a dermatologist about? After I told my doctor over the phone I did not want to stay on prednisone, she simply suggested benedryl and hydrocortisone. Benedyrl has been effective at night by helping me sleep, but nothing will stop the on and off itching of the rash during the day. I also noticed this morning an extreme reaction and itching sensation around the collar of my shirt, I did use a new laundry detergent I haven't used before..could this irritation be caused by the new detergent? or poison ivy still spreading? I have tried just about everything to prevent breakouts and is becoming very stressful that I cannot prevent/cure it.