Dermatology Expert Forum
Polymorphous Light Eruption

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Polymorphous Light Eruption

I have a long list of symptoms & have been very ill for a while.  I won't go into everything here, but I for sure meet two criteria for lupus:  Positive ANA (640), joint pain, and a third which I'm not sure of:  sun sensitivity. I definitely have never had the "butterfly rash", but have what sounds very much like PLE - is THAT considered "sun sensitivity" in terms of meeting an additional criteria for lupus? I know I cannot be diagnosed without having 4 of the 11, and my doc is currently treating me with Plaquenil despite no firm diagnosis.  I am particularly interested in whether or not this PLE is considered meeting the criteria (because I know many people have PLE and NOT lupus), because they are also looking a MS as a possibility.  Any pieces of this puzzle I can get is great, no matter how small. Anytime I have had the rash I haven't been able to see a dermatologist before it cleared up - I feel pretty confident based on what I've read here, pics I've seen, etc. that it is PLE - so, how does it relate to lupus criteria for sun sensitivity if at all??

Thanks for your help!
I am not expert on assessing criteria for lupus.  In the end how you feel matters more than what diagnostic label is applied.  I advise you to photograph the rash and show a dermatologist, who can then arrange to see you on a semi-urgent basis and examine and/or biopsy the rash to get as definitive as possible.  Another possibly useful teast is an immunofluorescent biopsy, even of uninvolved skin.  Your doctor will know about this.  If you haven't already consulted a rheumatologist (the sort of MD who specializes in lupus and forms of arthritis), you might consider doing so.  But again, how you feel matters more than whether you call it lupus or not.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff