Dermatology Expert Forum
Popping...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Popping...

Yes, I have read somewhere that you should absolutely NOT pop your pimples.  This causes irritation and imflames deep within, no matter how much comes out.  It makes sense and is probably true, but what they failed tell is how are you suppose to get rid of the whiteheads by not popping them?  That is my question to you..  It's too embarassing to walk around with a lot of white heads all around your face, but I really want to do everything in my power to rid my face of acne.  I just started on Differin, and I have been popping my pimples then covering my face in Differin, hopefully wishing that the Differin will go in that open pore and unclog it and all that good stuff.  Am I doing the right thing?  Right now i have this huge massive area around the sides of my mouth full of acne, and that's it.  It's so depressing.  I have found drying it out helps a ton to mask that I have this huge area of acne, and I have read that it doesn't hurt your skin to have it dry.. just causes you to be uncomfortable.  Second question - should i look into a light makeup?  I use to have a huge social life and right now I am scared to even walk out of the house.. it's so depressing :(
I know guys really don't use makeup, but I have heard some do.. can you easily tell that someone is wearing makeup?
Kyle:

Don't pop your pimples for your own good: popping makes red marks redder and last longer, which is the opposite of what you want.

I suggest you adopt a 2-pronged approach, medical and esthetic.

1) Get a dermatologist to prescribe something more aggressive than Differin alone, a more intensive topical regimen, and an oral antibiotic.

Because medical treatment takes weeks to work, look into an esthetician as well.  Perhaps your dermatologist emplys one.  If not, look in the local newspaper or phone book.  Or ask female friends or relatives.  The best way to get rapidly rid of whiteheads is have the pores professionally cleaned, which is what a facial is.  Also, makeup advice may help.  In our culture, men don't wear makeup, but that doesn't mean you can't if you learn how to put a coverup on properly, something many, perhaps most women learn as a matter of course.  (And I won't tell if you won't . . . )

Good luck!

Dr. R
KYLE-

DON'T KNOW IF YOU HAVE HEARD OF THIS, BUT IF YOU APPLY TOOTHPASTE TO A PARTICULAR AREA OF ACNE OVERNIGHT, THIS WILL DRY THEM OUT RELATIVELY QUICK.  I USE THIS IF I NEED TO GET RID OF ONE QUICKLY FOR A SPECIAL EVENT THE NEXT DAY.  BE SURE YOU USE THE PASTE, THE GEL KIND WILL NOT WORK.  AND JUST REMEMBER, THEY WILL FADE IN TIME.  GOOD LUCK!  WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE!
sometimes I get pimples that don't act like pimples.  They are just really painful and if I try to pop them they just have oily watery liquid and not whithead substance.  What can I do to get rid of them and what are they?