Possible Allergic Reaction to Sports Drink

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Today at her soccer game, my 6 year old drank a small bottle of Gatorade.  Shortly after I noticed a rash on her upper lip shaped like the mouth of the bottle.  There are tiny red speckles throughout the rash.  This has only happened once before.  During the fall season, she had Powerade and developed the same rash on her upper lip.  That rash took at least a week to clear up and she hasn't been allowed to drink Powerade since.  She usually drinks water at the games and I had attributed the previous rash to the Powerade and not Gatorade.  I did a few internet searches looking for any similar stories and found none.  Has anyone ever heard of an allergy to sports drinks?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Was the rash localized on her upper lip only?

Was there any associated diarrhea, abdominal pain and vomiting?

One thing to consider here is that your child may actually be allergic not to the beverage itself but to the bottle.

Has your daughter tried taking the drink through a glass or another container?

Nevertheless,I suggest that your daughter avoid this particular drink. Preventing allergic reactions is through avoiding the triggers.
The rash was on the upper lip only.  She did complain of a tummy ache but had no diarrhea or vomiting.

I never considered the bottle.. .thank you for pointing that out; however, I think we are just going to avoid sports drinks in general since she had had the same reaction to Powerade, as well.

Avatar_dr_f_tn

Yes, it is wise to just avoid all sports drink at this point. Food allergies usually present with diarrhea, stomach cramps and vomiting. Throat and mouth itchiness may also be noted. If there is a strong history of allergies or asthma in the family, it is best to have this evaluated further so you may know which triggers to avoid in the future.

Has the rash subsided already?

Ask your physician for the right medications to have at home in cases of an allergy.

Antihistamines are usually prescribed.

Here is a url which may help:

http://www.aaaai.org/patients/publicedmat/tips/foodallergy.stm
My 9 year old boy had a bottle of Cool Blue Powerade at lunch and a rash appeared shortly after. It is just as you explained on his upper lip in the shape of the top of the bottle. Did you put anything on your childs skin or give any medication. My son is fine, just a little embarrased about going to school tomorrow.
I'm allergic to sport drink . Every time I drink those drink my throat get swollen
My husband was told that he was suffering from a sever case of an allergic reaction. His stomach was inflamed. We discovered that once he stopped drinking powerades and gatorades that the pain went from a 9 to a 2. He ate Chinese lo mean noodles with and egg roll with a packet of soy sauce. He said that what ever he ate "fired" up his stomach again. Any ideas as to what it could be? He never had problem before but working out in the field this summer he was downing 5-6 powerade and gatorade drinks a day! Please help me. Ps. Chinese resturant doesn't use msg.
I'm suffering from the same thing.  I have a sensitive stomach to begin with and this summer I really drank a lot of powerade working in the hot sun.  Even started drinking it with meals because I like the taste.  Almost anything I eat now gives me a burning feeling around my entire stomach and heartburn.  It even hurts when my stomach is empty.  A few months ago I also started getting hives on the front of my arms around the elbows.  This is what got me thinking about allergies.  I eat pretty much the same things all the time but powerade was the one 'new' thing in my diet.  I've been off it for 4 days now and think I might be starting to feel better.  I hope this is the cause and I hope my stomach can get back to normal now.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers