Dermatology Expert Forum
Possible skin fungus on hands

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Possible skin fungus on hands

I have had a patch of dry skin on tip of my right thumb.  I have tried 100 different types of cream.  They all work temporarily but within 1/2 hour, my thumb starts to turn dry and cracks.  It has been this way since January.  The only way I can deal with it is to have a latex finger cot over my thumb.  It seems to act as a second skin.  When I take the finger cot off,  my thumb is in perfect condition, but like the creams, within 1/2 hour, the dryness and cracking will return.  I cannot go anywhere, including work, without my finger cot on or it will crack, bleed and has even become infected.  Its basically the only dry spot on my hands or body for that matter.  Do not know what it is or how to treat it.  Doctor gave me a prescription for some cortizole cream but its effect is very temporary.  Please tell me how to treat.
Clotrimazole is a fungus cream, and what you describe does not sound like a fungus.  It may be eczema, or it may even be allergy to latex.  You need a prescription-strength cortisone cream, and you may also need allergy testing.  Both will require a visit to a dermatologist.  That;s what I recommend.  Meantime, I advise you to use the over-the-counter ointment Aquaphor.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
l have had aproblem with ringworms for the past 7yrs.given different cream but they only work for a short period and comes backs. its so itching .wen l went to the doctor they just scratch them and the white water comes then they say its  ok unless pass was coming. now my whole body has some round ring worms how can they be treated?.can any medication treat them?l woud like to get rid of them.
A related discussion, very dry cracked bleeding hands was started.
A related discussion, dry hands was started.