Post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation

Hi, I have post inflammatory hyper pigmentation and I've had it for absolutely ages. After I get rid of a breakout it always leaves a red mark and it doesn't fade away! I've read online that they do fade away but for some reason mine aren't.. I still have some hyper pigmentation from some spots I had about 12-24 months ago. I have been to a dermatologist about it and she first prescribed me tri-retinol and anti-redness cream which didn't really do anything to my hyper pigmentation.. Just kind of get rid of my acne which  helps preventing new spots but doesn't help to get rid of the ones I have. After 6 weeks of using what she prescribed me I went to the dermatologist again and with her and me not being happy with the results she prescribed me tazorac gel 0.05% a sodium, sulfacetamide 10%, sulfur 5% cleanser, solodyn 55mg pills to control my acne and sunscreen but yet again (surprise surprise) didn't help with the hyper pigmentation. I have fair skin and it makes the hyper pigmentation appear darker than it is because of the contrast. Right now I added kojic acid to my routine and been using it everyday for 3 days but haven't been noticing a big change and I'm not sure if it is working or not. I use sunscreen everyday and I honestly don't know what else to do to get rid of the very annoying spots! Please help!!!
The treatment for post inflammatory hyperpigmentation includes various skin creams like hydroquinone, azelaic acid, corticosteroids, tretinoin cream and laser treatment. If it still persists then you can go in for laser treatment, Chemical peeling or microdermabrasion. Avoid picking, harsh scrubbing, and abrasive treatments unless prescribed by a dermatologist during this period.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you very much on your help, I want to know your thoughts on hydroquinonine because I have heard it works like a wonder but I have also seen a lot of negativity about it because of it's possible cancerous properties. Do you recommend using a 2% hydroquinonine cream that you can get over the counter or do you think it is too risky?