Pox-like rash for 5 weeks, no discomfort

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

About 5 weeks ago, I felt very mild flu symptoms: slightly feverish and with overall body aches. This "flu" lasted about 1 week. Then, once the flu symptoms went away, I noticed a red, puffy, shingles-like blister (6mm in diameter) on my upper left thigh. It wasn't itchy or painful at all. In December 2010, I had developed a case of shingles near my right armpit which spread to my back, and so I thought I might be getting shingles again.

I checked myself every day for more blisters but there were none. A few days after this first blister showed up, I noticed a lot of little dots popping up on my right arm. On average they were about 2mm in diameter and red in color, but they weren't itchy or painful. 2 or 3 days later, more little dots appeared on my left arm. A few days after that, the dots were all over my body. I still wasn't feeling any itchiness or discomfort.

I've lost 15lbs since this began. I have greatly increased the amount of food I eat, and I'm eating much healthier foods, but I can't seem to gain any of the weight back. The initial blister disappeared about 3 weeks in, and there's a pinkish scar where it was. But all the little dots are still here. When I wake up in the morning the dots aren't there, but by the afternoon they rise up, turn reddish, and stay like that all day.

I'm a 22-year old female, and I had chickenpox at age 5. I have no history of allergies, and I do not take any medications, vitamins, etc. Any information you may have on this is very much appreciated.
Such a rash which is present generalized, all over the body can be due to viral infection or allergic reaction. Hence it looks like a viral infection which is causing these symptoms. Please get an examination done from a pediatrician to confirm the diagnosis. Till then apply calamine lotion on the itchy rash and take oral antihistaminic like Benadryl for itching.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.