Prednisone, side effects and treatment for Poison Oak

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I have been prescribed to a schedule of Prednisone for treatment of Poison Oak rash.  I am very allergic to the plants and find myself afflicted too often.  This particular case was much worse than previous ones however.  My leg became swollen and the gashes were deep enough to bleed.  In the past I have not experienced these symptoms, so I went to the Doctor.  The Doctor confirmed that the swelling in my leg/ankle was not from an infection rather the case was "just that bad".  

After reading some scary info about Predisone side effects I got to thinking.  One source mentioned that Prednisone should not be taken if you recently have had an infection.  I failed to mention to my Doctor that about 3 weeks to a month ago I had an abscess in my mouth due to dental problems.  Is this something I should be concerned about?  The previous infection was relatively minor and it has been about 3 weeks.  Is it unsafe for me to take a 15 day schedule of Predisone 3 weeks after having an infection in my mouth???

Thank you for any answer you have or anything you can share.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers