Dermatology Expert Forum
Pregnant with acne

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Pregnant with acne

I'm 24 weeks pregnant and have developed bad acne.  I never had skin problems like this.  I went to see a dermatologist who prescribed Cleocin T and benzamycin.  The drug information that came with the benzamycin says that it should not be used during pregnancy unless clearly needed and that the benefits must outweigh the risks.  I don't want to use it if there are risks to my unborn baby.  Have you prescribed either of these meds to your pregnant patients.  Should I be concerned?

Thanks so much-this not knowing what to do is driving me crazy.
-Karen
Karen:

Pregnancy has a variable effect on acne; some people get worse, others better, others stay the same.  The medications I use during pregnancy are erythromycin topical and precipitated sulfur.  Ask your dermatologist abouyt a prescrition for either.  (Benzamycin also has benoyl peroxide.)

Best.

Dr. R
FYI, I have had two children.  With my first pregnancy, my acne was AWFUL.  I had it all over my back.  It was actually painful.  Guess what, I had a boy!  The second time around, my skin looked wonderful the entire pregnancy.  I had a girl.  My Dr. said the acne was caused by all the additional male hormones from my son.  I don't know if this is true, but when I have #3 I will find out if the trend will continue.  Thought it was interesting.
i too had horrible acne during pregnancy, which i have never had problems with before. it was all over my back and neck. i had my baby 9 months ago and it still hasn't gone away completely! oh, and i had a girl. my doctor said it was because of the increase of testosterone but i have no idea where the testosterone came from.
FYI, to all those that have had acne problems, especially during pregnancy . . . I had the same problems and watched an informercial (believe it!) on PROACTIVE and product line developed by 2 dermotologists.  It is a bit expensive but well worth the cost, it is tremendous and has cleared up my skin incredibly!  Good luck.
A related discussion, babynails was started.