Problem with Thumb Nail

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Problem with Thumb Nail

I injured my thumbnail. After I thought it was healed I had acrylic nails put on. While I was having the nails done, I felt that the manicurist filed down my real nail bed too much because I definately felt it to the point of it hurting and jerked away. Of course she apologised. After a few months I developed a fungus and I removed the acrylic nails. My nail will not grow back normal. It grows thick on the sides and flat in the middle,(doesn't seem to grow in the middle at all) and is sunkin in, and it looks white in appearance, not pink like it should.  Is it possible that I still had a fracture in my real nail, or the manicurist filed down too much of my natural and caused nail glue to penetrate under my nail bed? I have been the a derm. once for it and will not see him again. I showed it to him and he just shrugged and said it did not look bad, as if I was being to concerned about it.  Will not go back to him again and will never get acrylics ever again. I am seeking a second opinion in the future with another derm., but wanted an opinion from you first.  It is very ugly to me, but more importantly it is very uncomfortable as the thick nail grows out I feel a lot of discomfort from it, just feels like something is under there and it is sore most of the time.   Thank You,  THE UGLY THUMB NAIL
I know this sounds weird, but I had something similar and a friend told me to try Vicks Vapo-rub. You rub the Vicks on all around the nail and nail bed every night before bed. You can even do this over nail polish. Within a few weeks my nail looked healthy again. It's worth a shot...but you have to be consistent with the treatment.

Hudson