Psoriasis on just a few fingers??

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Psoriasis on just a few fingers??

A few years back the skin on my right thumb all of a sudden got really dry and thick on the "print" side. It wasn't painful,  but then it started peeling off in thick chunks.  Then it really hurt because it was like it was raw.  It cracked in some places and prohibited me from writing at times.  It cleared up by itself in about 2-3 weeks.  Then about 4 weeks later it happened again.  This cycle repeats itself over and over. My MD wrote me an Rx for Betamethasone Dipropionate.  She said I had to apply at the first signs of a flare up.  It doesn't really make any difference.  I still flare up and if I put the ointment on after the skin peels, it really burns. This past summer it continued on my thumb but the same thing happend on my forefinger as well.  This cycle now repeats itself in the same manner.  I am "flared up" right now but have noticed that is beginning on the thumb of my left hand as well.
Help! This is really annoying and painful
Tags: fingers, Skin
Avatar dr f tn

Psoriasis is a noncontagious, lifelong skin diseases. Psoriasis most commonly appears on the scalp, knees, elbows and torso. But psoriasis can develop anywhere, including the nails, palms, soles, genitals and face. Often the lesions appear symmetrically, which means in the same place on the right and left sides of the body. Aside from physical examination and complete medical history diagnosis may be done with skin biopsy. There are different kinds of psoriasis and it is important to avid triggers such as emotional stress, injury to the skin, some types of infection and reactions to certain drugs. Certain medications, like antimalarial drugs, lithium and certain beta-blockers, are also known to cause people's psoriasis to flare. Other triggers may include weather, diet and allergies. Triggers will vary from person to person and what may cause one person's psoriasis to flare may produce no reaction in another individual.

If it persists, it would be best to have it evaluated further by your doctor for proper management. Take care and keep us posted.
I have the exact same problem! It started about two years ago, with my thumb, then my forefinger. Then it started on my other hand, in the exact same place.
The Dr. perscribed Clobetasol Propionate cream 0.05% I was supposed to put it on, and then wear white cotton gloves. It really didn't help much, until I started to wear the rubber fingertips that people wear in offices. I put a small amount of the cream on my fingers about 2 hrs. before bedtime, and then put the rubber tips on my fingers, and sleep in them. My fingers have been totally clear ( no splits, & no scales) for about 2 weeks!!!
the rubber fingertips you used are they like finger cots.

Need Help, Have got some swelling between Penis and Anal. Few days back had some puss formation under the Anul but the puss is no longer there but got this swelling right under the veins leading to Penis after I pressed hard to remove the Puss. The area under the penis has become harder and have pain in it.  Please help.