Dermatology Expert Forum
Psoriasis on penis?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Psoriasis on penis?

I'm a 23 year old that has for the past four months or so, had a few red spots on the head of my penis. They were/are about the size of a pencil eraser, and there were two of them. Now there's just one area. The size never changes -- remains exactly the same.

They are flat, and have never burst or anything like that. The skin looks totally intact. They are slightly shiny on top. They arent round... One was ovalish and the other was sort of triangle shaped.

At first I just left them alone, but they didnt go away. So I thought I'd try 1% hydrocortizone. This got rid of one totally, and the other mostly. But there is still a little flat red spot left where one of them was.

I went to a dermatologist, and he said it was most likely psoriasis, and gave me Lidex cream to apply on the small spot that remained. It didnt seem to help...

Also it looks like I have some broken blood vessels in the same area. I notice a few dark dots the size of a pen tip that appear to be vessels broke where the little veins join together. Is this something to be concerned about?

Could this be psoriasis? Or some sort of vessel disorder?

I think Im probably just over-reacting, especially in light of the dermatologists thoughts that it was just psoriasis. I dont know if the broken blood vessels are anything to worry about... But I just wanted to ask you to get another doctors opinion.

Thanks,
Colin

If the spots got better with over-the-counter hydrocortisone, even partially, then the dermatologist is more than likely correct.  Psoriasis or eczema of the penis (both very similar) can cause red spots lik the ones you describe.

Once you get rid of the scale, the skin looks red for quite some time.  If you look hard, you can see blood vessels, but these don't mean anything.

I think your best bet at this point is to do nothing.  The vessels should become less visible as the redness gradually subsides.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I have similar conditions and negative std tests...along with burning with urination...can these rashes cause this burning?  Thanks
A related discussion, Chronic ecsma? was started.
A related discussion, Penile psoriasis follow up from May 23rd was started.
A related discussion, psoriasis/pink spots/small pink blotch on penis was started.
A related discussion, psoriasis on tip of penis was started.