Dermatology Expert Forum
Pubic folliculitis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Pubic folliculitis

Hi Dr. Rockoff,

Every once and a while I will notice small pimple like bumps in my pubic hair. Historically in the region above my penis, since the age of 15.  These pimple like bumps normally appear to have white yellowish pus filled heads.  However, about a month ago a bump began to grow at the base of the shaft of my penis.  It was still located in a hairy region, but this bump did not present with a white yellowish head.  During the time that I had this bump, it grew to be the size of maybe half a skittle (If skittles are a valid unit of measurement).  This was definitely larger than the bumps I had previously experienced.  It did not itch and was not painful.  I believe i scratched it examining it and clear fluid and blood came out of it.  In about 2-3 weeks it had completely healed after scabbing over.  That was approx 5-6 weeks ago.  4 days ago I noticed a very small pimple very close to the area (the base of my penis) where the previous bump had healed.  This pimple was very small and had a white yellowish head.  Maybe a 1/4 inch to the right.  The next day there was a large bump like the one previous described with NO white yellowish head.  There has been NO pain and NO itching.  I went to a doctor that day, and he examined my pubic area and felt the lymph nodes in my leg.  He said there was no swelling and too early to make a diagnoses, being that the bump was there for only about 24 hours.  He advised me to wait to see if the condition worsened.  He didn't want to prescribe anything.  I requested that I be tested for herpes just in case. Since then, I have been online researching folliculitis.  There's some pretty scary stuff out there linking folliculitis to HIV.  Different sites say different things and I know that it's important not to self diagnose.  Most of the sites talk about advanced HIV and pruratic folliculitis which mines is clearly not.  But I came accross a couple of sites talking about differnt forms in early stages.  I tested negative for HIV about 2 years ago, and I protect myself during casual sex.  There have been a couple of occasions where protection was not used and I'm having trouble mustering the courage to get tested again.

I came across your site in my searches.  As far as treatment, I have been showering twice a day using antibacterial soap.  I have been extremely careful not to scratch the area.  I wanted to watch it heal.  For the last two days the condition did not change.  However, today I noticed a small scab at the top, and what appears to be dry skin around the base of the bump.  It has been about 5 days since I first got the bump.  There is a pubic hair in the bump, but not at the center.  Can you please advise as to what you think this could be?  I don't get my herpes test results back for several days.  I guess the thing that worries me most is that it came back so quickly (within 5 weeks) and is in the same region as the previous bump.  I'm pretty sure I did not scratch the area.  Please help
What you're describing certainly does not sound like herpes.  I guess you'll have to wait for the definitive culture to come back, but I'm confident it will be negative.

I'm not sure which websites you're looking at, but I can't for the life of me think of any connection between folliculitis and HIV.

It seems to me you're spending entirely too much time worrying about all this.  Please have the doctor who tested you for herpes either give you the definitivbe diagnosis of folliculitis I think you deserve, or else refer you to a specialist who can.  These lesions will resolve themselves if you let them.

As far as skittles, I don't know how big they typically are . . .

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Maybe he was looking at websites describing eosinophilic folliculitis
i think i have a similar problem... i am gettin these bumps in my hair mound that almost look like pimples from a distance but upon closer inspection look more like pinkish/red moles (real smooth to the skin, flat on top)... oddly enough, being a bit overweight and my stomach hangs down onto the mound, i have now got them on the bottom of my stomach.. about three or four.. i thought it was a zit and tried to pop it and it popped out of my skin and started to bleed like crazy.. i think i have genital warts... there was a scare with my girlfriend and an old fling about a year ago and now i am worried... i cut off most of my pubic hair a minute ago to get a better look and its 5 in the morning and the stress i am taking in right now is ridiculous.. i am more worried that if i got them from my girlfriend then she might have cancer... i can live with bumps for a while, but i cant live without her... any help on this subject would be so great... i need help so badly... thank you
A related discussion, Abscess problems was started.