Pubic rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Pubic rash

I have noticed red marks on the skin just above my pubic hair. They are smooth and not raised from the surface, and aren't itchy or sore. It also continues underneath the hair, although it is not as noticable. I don't think it can be anything related to sex, as I haven't had sex in months, and the condition has only appeared recently. I do, however, trim my hair and shave around the edges to keep it tidy - could this be causing it? I can't think of anything else. It isn't sore but it doesn't look very nice, and I'd like to get it treated before it gets worse, but I don't want to overreact, it might just go away. Help!
From the symptoms it sounds like folliculitis or sebaceous cysts. Pls keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove.Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful.In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed.Pls consult a dermatologist in that case.Also then get sebaceous cysts ruled out.
I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts. Warm regards.

Hi, thanks so much for your reply. I do wash the area regularly and I have E45 cream, and Hydrocortisone cream (for a tiny patch of eczema on my finger!) - would either of these help? The rash isn't sore or dangerous-looking, just not very attractive.I'm pretty sure I can rule out sebaceous cysts - from the pictures on the internet, anyway, as they look to be occuring on their own, and they are much bigger than what I have. And they stand out from the skin. Folliculitis is possible, though - probably resulting from shaving.
Thanks,
Izzy.
E45 and hydrocortisone(steroid) have plenty of side effects for which I advise you to consult a dermatologist first. If it is folliculitis then warm compresses and antibiotic creams like Mupirocin or Neosporin are helpful.But it is advisable to diagnosis confirmed from a dermatologist first.

I hope it helps.Take care and regards.