Purple Bruise

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Purple Bruise

I have a very large deep purple bruise with a lump in it on my side.  I do not remember to my side.  the bruise just appeared. What could it be?
This bruise can be due to trauma. Anemia and deficiency of vitamins C, K, B12, or folic acid are the common causes of easy bruisability and nosebleeds. Other than that, you need to get investigated for bleeding disorders, bone marrow disorders, liver diseases or leukemias. If the rash is raised popular like then lichen planus needs to be evaluated.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

The blood under the skin which causes the discoloration of bruising should be totally reabsorbed by the body in three weeks or less. Easy or spontaneous bruisability can be due to anemia and deficiency of vitamins C, K, B12, or folic acid. If the symptoms do not improve, get yourself evaluated by a physician and look out for SLE, bone marrow disorders, liver diseases or leukemias.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.