Purple/bruise like discoloration on the rim of the head of the penis?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I noticed this discoloration about  little 3 over weeks ago. I was masturbating and after I was finished  I went to wash off i noticed it was what I would say "bruised". At first I didn't think much of  it since I thought it was normal for the penis to change colors or even bruise because I thought I might of gone a little hard on it. After two weeks it still has not changed and its starting to worry me. I do have a girlfriend and I am sexually active but i havent noticed any other symptoms (maybe an occasional dryness when retracting the foreskin since I am uncircumcised) like penile discharge, chancre, or pain while urinating. Also when Im taking a shower the discoloration becomes darker and when I get out it becomes lighter. What could this be? Is this normal for the rim of the penis to change color like that? Could this be an STI or a yeast infection?
I also have this discolouration and the area seems a little purple and bruise. just like you mentioned. on the rim of the penis glans (glands).

hope it's nothing.

From the symptoms lichen planus needs to be ruled out. It is an itchy papular eruption characterized by its violaceous color
Lichen planus is an inflammatory disease that affects the skin and the oral mucosa, and presents itself in the form of papules(flat spots) or rashes. Treatment is available only on prescription and consists mainly of steroids,retinoids,hydroquinone and phototherapy.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.