RED ABOVE LIP, LIKE CHAFING, PAINFUL, FLARE UPS, RESISTS TREATMENTS, WH...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

RED ABOVE LIP, LIKE CHAFING, PAINFUL, FLARE UPS, RESISTS TREATMENTS, WHAT IS THIS?

I am a 19 year old model.  Last year after a snowboarding trip, I got what I thought was chafing, ABOVE my upper lip, a band of red, dry looking skin covering from the top of my upper lip line up to my nose and across the width of my upper lip. I tried everything , nothing worked, went to a dermatologist, she said it was "most likely exzema (eczema) (sp?). She prescribed protopic 0.1%  eacrolimus ointment, it worked somewhat for a while, burned badly when applied but after a week the redness was mild enough that makeup would cover it.  It seems to flare up randomly and is now completely unresponsive to the protopic. I feel like it has never gone away, just been subdued.  I've used aquafor, and as long as I keep it on that area, it bats it down a LITTLE bit, but it is still VERY noticeable. Now, nothing works, it looks horrific, makeup wont even cover it, it is painful, burns and sometimes appears swollen. I've never had blisters, however when it is at its worse, it sometimes has a few small bumps under the dry skin. No flaking, no breakouts, no cracking, just RED as if I'd used sandpaper on that skin and it was irritated from such (that's the appearance of it.)  I am in a new town, have had to cancel many photo shoots, cannot even get into a good dermatologist for months. My GP had no idea what it was or what to use. I've used hydrocortisone cream as well with minimal results. Do you know what it might be? What some standard medications are that may be used for it? Is there anything over the counter I can try while I wait for an appointment? It is painful and looks horrible and I am out of work until I can get this under control.  (no correlation between alcohol, caffeine, spices or tomato products that I have noticed and I've tried to be aware of patterns such as those.) PLEASE HELP ME : /
Hey girl! I am so sorry about that! I wish there was something I could do. I'm not a doctor but I am wondering, what kind of skin care do you use? I believe you must be beautiful (we are the same age) lol but I know of some amazing skin care that might help with this rash you cannot get rid of. Let me know if I can help you!
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers