Dermatology Expert Forum
RIngworm that won't clear up

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

RIngworm that won't clear up

My daughter has had ringworn off and on since last March.  She is now has three lesions and is being treated with econazole nitrate 1%.  Prior she was using Ultrvate .05%.  It seems to be responding slowly but she keeps haveing other sites popping up.  We have had our dog checked as the source but it was negative.  I have now contracted two lesions and am using the econazole.  The dermatologist did a scrapping of my two lesions and she said they were paoitive for fungus. My daughter' I gues die to haveing been treating her areas with the cortizone did not test positive but our areas look the same.  some of my daughter's areas look like a ring and some are more elongated.  Mine are in a circle
My question is why is this so difficult to clear up, why does she keep getting more areas, and can this be anything else that is systemic?  Also should we still consider it may be coming frm the dog?  Our yard gets areas of mud and water when it rains hard and all the yard in the area had muxhrooms about a month ago.  But keep in mind she has had this since last year. SHe had one episode where they gave her the oral medication.  but it still came back
Please give me some information on how to battle this.  It feels like it will never go away.  I have another child but she has not contracted this as yet.  We are trying to be careful.
Any help would be greatly appreaciated.
Thank you
Ultravate is a strong cortisone cream.  Cortisone makes fungus worse, so if the fungus hasn't been responding, that could certainly be a good reason.

Econazole is a good antifungal cream.  Regular use on all spots should clear things up nicely.  If it doesn't, then your doctor would need to think about a short course of oral antifungal antibiotic.  The fact that you say such a course did not solve the problem suggests that there could be a fungus reservoir in the house.  Dogs are uncommon but possible.  Despite the negative check, I'd look the dog over again and have a vet look too if there's any doubt.

It's also possible that these round lesions are eczema and not fungus.  Of course, the doctor founbd a positive scraping, but these can sometimes mislead.  If a fungus culture hasn't also been done, I'd recommend one, for your daughter and for you too.  Eczema can look round and "ringy" and tends to recur from time to time, and runs in families.  Just maybe, it's been eczema all along . . .

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
my grand daughters get ringworm from cats and dogs.....it seems as though all they have to do is look at one...and they get it.it takes so long for over the counter meds. to work.an old man we know told us of a home remedy and it was like a miricle for ring worm.you take sulfer and mix it with just enough margerine to make a paste.....it dosnt take much of either(1/2  teasp.)and put the paste on the ring worm.....(the margerine is just to hold it on)leave it for about 15 mins. and rinse really well.its gone with in two days.if the sulfer burns....rinse immediatly.it didnt burn on my granchildren (4 and 3 years old)......but he said some people may be sensitive.you can get sulfer in a bag from just about any place that carries garden supplies......you can also treat your dogs with sulfer,(no margerine)just take care not to get it in thier eyes....read the directions on the bag for dogs.he also told us about mixing clorox and water for poison oak....another  fast miricle....lol.
Perhaps this will help you.  I discovered this site quite by
accident (trying to find help for myself).   If you check out
purest colloids.com, under the Testimonials, there you will find
other people with similar problems, and getting help quickly.
A related discussion, I have had a persistent skin condition for 4 years. was started.
A related discussion, Help!! was started.