Dermatology Expert Forum
Raise red pimple like rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Raise red pimple like rash

My rash started a month ago with small raised red bumps in the back of my head near my neck - very itchy. About a week later I got the same bumps on my legs.  They have now spread on both arms, legs, hips and feet. On one of my thighs I now have brusing where the rash started.  It is black & purple - I did not hit or bump into anything.  I am a 46 year old female, who has two sisters that experienced the same rash.  One sister had it for 2 yrs..  At first they thought it was an allergy to bromine from the hot tub.  But the fact that both sisters think it is the same kind of rash that they had makes me think it is not the hot tub.  No one else in my immediate family has a rash.  All have been in the hot tub.  I take lots of vitamins and I take prozac, tryptophan and pariet.  I have been diagnosed with Sarcodosis twice when I was in my twenties.  Autoimmune Diseases run in my family.  I'm exhausted and very uncomfortable.  The doctor as given me a cream for the rash it is a compound betaderm 1% cram with 1/2% mtnthol & camphor.  The meds I take on a daily basis since the fall are 2 x 500MG L-Tryptophan and 1 x apo-hydrozine 25mg 2 x pariet 10mg.  Can you help me.
I'm afraid I can't offer you much.  Your rash does not sound like anything specific I can point a finger at.  I have to at least wonder how you can be sure that your sister had the same thing, when you don;t know for sure what you have.  Also, the fact that autoimmune diseases run in your family does not mean that you necessarily have one.  Has your doctor run autoimmune screening tests, just to rule them out?  Blood clotting tests to see whether the bruises mean anything, as they probably don't?  Has he or she told you what the likely diagnosis is?  Have you seen a general physician to look into your fatigue?

I'm sorry I can't make any but these suggestions for how to look into your problem.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
thank you for your response.  first of all - I have sarcodosis which is in remission and to my knowledge is an autoimmune disease.  Secondly,  I am suggesting that both of my sisters have suffered from similar symptoms to mine and the look of the rash seems the same. Is this a coincidence?  Could be or something that is in my family genetic make up. Both my sisters did not get a conclusive diagnosis. I have gone to my family doctor and he has done a blood & urine work up.  I have also been seen by a dermatoligist.
I've had this for quite awhile and since my doctor prescribed some cream for it, it's gotten worse.  I have a rash under my belly-button.  It starts as just itchy and red and maybe a bit raised.  It gradually gets scaly and skin peels and stuff oozes and sometimes I itch it until I bleed.  There are scaly, open bumps of all different sizes on one big spot on my belly.  Lately its become so itchy I can't keep from scratching it and it hurts so much I can hardly sit down.  One night it was so itchy I just itched around it so I wouldnt damage it worse.  It got much worse because it spread to my upper pubus and up over my belly button.  There's this mass of red and I scrached so hard there are very tiny red dots everywhere in what looks like a pattern of little bloody spots.  It scared me a lot.  I put lots of pyroxide on it and it foamed really bad and stung and I got woozy from seeing my body foam like that.  I get goosebumps right now thinking about it.  It didn't relieve the itching and I grabbed a safety pin and started stabbing my rash with it, hoping pain would take the itch away!  This rash is very painful, itchy, and its starting to frighten me!!  What should I do?!  PLEASE HELP ME!!!
A related discussion, itchy pimples was started.