Raised Tattoos

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Raised Tattoos

I'm a 40 year old guy who got his first tattoo when I was 15.  Here is the problem, all of the black outlining on my tattoos has become angry, inflaimed and itches horribly.  My tats come from at least six different people over a 25 year span.  I have seen several dermatologists, had a biopsy and everyone is stumped.  

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I can't believe that after a biopsy, the dermatologists still can't figure it out. Doesn't leave one with much faith in medical professionals, does it? A few things come to mind: 1.) some sort of granuloma but I don't think that a granuloma would come and go like that 2.) some sort of inflammatory or autoimmune condition that would have remissions and exacerbations 3.) an allergy to one of the dyes that was used, specifically black in this case but again, I wouldn't expect that to come and go either. I'm just throwing those things out there, but I do have to tell you that I have a few tatoos as well and with one of them, I have the same exact problem that you've described and specifically with the black outline area. I've been looking for an answer for awhile and this is where I came up with some of the possibilities that I mentioned above. Good luck and let me know if you ever get an answer.
i myself only have two tattoos but the one on my arm does the same thing... i think it is caused by the sun..... cuz the other i have is on my hip and t never sees the sun and it dont get raised up or itch..... so i think it is some kinda reaction from the sun to the ink.....

sincerly urs
shawn allen
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The skin reaction never happened immediately after tattooing?

In the biopsy, what did the findings show?

This appears to be a delayed hypersensitivity reaction. Delayed hypersensitivity reaction is the reaction responsible for contact dermatitis and granulomatous diseases. In your case, the reaction occurred at the same time or has this been happening in the past years ? Is this only a recent onset condition?

Do you have any known allergies?
I to experience this. I have many tattoos and on my arms, shoulders i experience raised outline and extreeme itchieness. I never gave it serious thought till now. Is this serious?
I woke yp this morning, to find my small tatoo on my dary aire raised. I HAVE HAD THIS TAT FOR 30 YEARS!!!!!    What's up with that?   No itch here.