Raised bumpy, itchy rash on back of thigh and upper legs.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

What could cause a, raised bumpy rash. The appearance of the rash is, some bumps are small raised bumps with white heads along with raise flat blotchy bumps. They itch like crazy.........I awaken very early in the morning 2-3 am itching. I have been using Cortison creme to help but I can't affort to keep buying the amount it is taking to give me relief. This rash started with a few bumps that looked like mosquito bumps and then progressed to a full blown rash. Left back thight and upper leg, rash on my right leg is in a small area on the inside lower thigh area. It is starting to appear on my wrist area. I am miserable...please help..I have been living in Mexico for 7 months with no illnesses. This rash first appeard a week ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or jock itch.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema

Let us know if you need any further information.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for the symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.