Dermatology Expert Forum
Raised mole on shoulder

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Raised mole on shoulder
Hi Doctor.  I am 40 years old and noticed a raised mole on my shoulder when I was pregnant last year.  I'm unsure if it is a "new" mole, or if it was previously a flat mole.  It is about the size of a pencil eraser, medium brown in color, asymmetric.  It has never bled, scaled or itched. I did spend a lot of time in the sun and tanning beds when I was younger, have fair skin/blue eyes, and did have several blistering sunburns when I was a child/teen.  
The mole has not changed over the past year since my son was born -- I expected it to flatten out over time after delivery.  I did see my PCP and a dermatologist about it.  They both recommended watching it over the next six months to a year.  I saw a plastic surgeon about another matter and showed it to him -- he recommends removal, since it is raised.  I would appreciate your opinion.  Thank you.    
Just because a mole is raised does not mean it's a problem.  If the dermatologist suggested leaving it alone and watching it, that's what I do.  

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I had a mole on my arm that was raised. I went to see my doctor and he said it wasn't cancerous, so I went to an herbalist to see if there was something that would remove it naturally. They used itworkspaste on me. It stung a tiny bit for a few mintues. But the whole process only took 20 minutes. I bought a box for myself. I will say it would be hard to do this on your own if it's in a place you can't reach. You have to prep the mole first, apply the cream, then it begins to scab very quickly.  Anyway, hope this helps.