Rapid, Sudden Hair Loss

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rapid, Sudden Hair Loss

I'm a 20 year old female, and I've been experienced severe hair loss since August of last year (so it's been around 7 months). It started about 2 months after I got my wisdom teeth extracted, and it seemed to happen overnight. I just woke up one morning, ran a brush through my hair, and when I pulled it away, it was FULL of hair. I've lost a good 50% of my hair since then.

The thing is, I always had beautiful thick hair, down to my hips. Now it's embarrassingly thin and I've had to cut a good 8 inches off. I take good care of it; I use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner, I take fish oil and quality multivitamins, I eat well, and I never use heat on it. What little hair I have left appears to be very soft, shiny, and healthy. It just won't stop falling out! The falling out is pretty much everywhere, but it's especially bad over my crown, top of my head, and hairline.

Could this be caused by a reaction to anesthesia? That was also the first and only time I've ever been put under general anesthesia. As far as I know, I'm healthy otherwise. I had a physical and blood work done not too long ago, and everything came back fine. Hereditary baldness does not run in my family.
Tags: hair loss
From your symptoms it looks like telogen effluvium. During telogen, the resting hair remains in the follicle until it is pushed out by growth of a new anagen hair. In telogen effluvium, a large number of hair enter telogen at one time. you need to pay attention to your diet. Your hair needs vitamins and minerals to grow that it can only get from the bloodstream. So if you want to speed up your hair growth and thickness you should limit the intake of fat and salts. Selenium, zinc and magnesium are some of the minerals that your hair needs and also amino acids and vitamin E will help in growing hairs. You can regularly massage scalp with oil, use protein conditioner to avoid loss and help growing, prevent exposure in hot sun etc.

If the symptoms persist then you should consult a trichologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.