Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash (?), irritation on glans(glands) penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Dr. Rockoff:

I'm hoping you can shed some light on a very frustrating problem. About a month and a half ago, I was diagnosed with molluscum contagiousum, for which I received cryotherapy treatment. It has been abotu 3 weeks since I saw the appearance of a new lesion, so I'm hoping that's done with.

However, since the MC regressed, I've had what appears to be a rash of some sort on my glans (glands). It's red, irritated, and appears to me to have tiny pinkish papules on close inspection. It does not itch and the papules, if that's what they are, can only be seen on very close inspection, but it's clear that the colour (pinkish) is different from the regualr glans (glands) skin.

Before this began, there was a small patch of flaking skin on the shaft of my penis, the back of the glans (glands) was red and irritated, and skin was flaking on my scrotum as well. I figured it was fungal, so I applied Micatin for 10 days to all the areas. The patch of skin on the shaft has healed, but the scrotum continues to flake (not severely), and if anything, the glans (glands) has gotten worse. In addition, I have noticed that the seam of skin that leads away from the urethra and travels down the underside of the glans (glands) has become inflamed and stings intermittently (like right now). There appears to be no disfunction, as I am able to urinate and ejacualte as before, and any pain seems to be unrelated to either of these acitivities (ie. the stinging is independent of urination or ejaculation).

In addition, there a couple of brownish blothches on the glans (glands) as well, though they've been there for at least a few months, if not longer.

Given this information, what could it be? I'm reasonably satisfied that it's not fungal, at least on the glans (glands), but have no idea what else it could be. One of the first MC lesions I developed was on the glans (glands), but this was almost 2 months ago and none have reappeared there (as I say, the MC seems to be gone).

There is also what appears to be a small purple-ish blood blister right at the urethral opening, but I've had that for years and am not concerned about it (or haven't been until recently). It was a much paler colour in the past (pink), but changed colour over time.

Sexually, I have been in a monogamous relationship for about a year, but have not had sex in 5 weeks, as she has been away for work. My concern is for myself, of course, but also for her; if I have contracted some kind of infection, I need to figure it out quickly so she can also seek treatment (note that this infection arrived severla weeks after her departure). I am going to see my GP tomorrow, but he has been a little resistant in referring me to a dermatologist or urologist (what's more appropriate in this circumstance?), but I feel I will have to insist. I'm more than a little freaked out by all these issues and desperately want them resolved. Many thanks ...
First, the molluscum seems to have nothing to do with the problem.  Second, what you describe sounds much more like irritation rather than infection of any sort, sexual or otherwise, so I don't think your partner is at risk.

As to your GP, I will leave it to you to decide whether you are comfortable with his diagnosis.  Peace of mind is worth a great deal, and so referral to a speacialist seems reasonable to me.  But of course I'm a specialist (who would refer without hesitation any patient who wanted another opinion.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, Natural cures for penile irritations was started.