Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash That Won't Go Away

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash That Won't Go Away

I've had a rash for 8 weeks now. Small red bumps, mostly flat, but some slightly raised with no itching.  Started on stomach moving to arms and legs within days.  At first attacked areas not exposed to sun.  After 6 weeks moved up to breasts, entire leg, front of arms, outer areas of back, and top of feet.  Heat makes it more intense. Blood tests have all come back normal.  Had biopsy last week and waiting for results.  Am on my 3rd dose of predisone with no visible results other than a little less red.  Seems to fade somewhat at times but only for a brief period. Had taken black cohosh and gingko for 1 month but have been off it for 6 weeks.  I also take a multi-vitamin, vitamin E and calcium.  Take Levoxyl for thyroid but recently tested and numbers are right on.  Doctor said does not look like contact or food allergy rash.  No other signs of illness.  Also tried topical steriod with no results.  I am 50 years old.
I aplogize, but I have little to say.  Your description doesn't sound as though you have something serious, but it doesn't remind me of anything either.  Perhaps the biopsy will be helpful, if only to rule out something you need to pay attention to.  Sometimes the best approach with nodescript rashes is to ignore them (once significant conditions have been ruled out.)

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
my daughter has basically the same symptoms as you.  like you, she is waiting on a biopsy to come back.  the dermatologist believes it to be a rare skin disorder called pleva ( mucha habermann).  her bumps are very itchy and most of the cases of pleva i have read about are not itchy so i am not sure that is what she has.  be patient and wait to see what the biopsy results are.  you may read up on pleva and may find the answers you are looking for.  no known cure or cause and is a reoccuring skin disorder.  good luck to you.
Have you ever heard of Schambergs Diesase?  It sounds to me like I have the same thing you do even though I am only 18 years old.  the red "rash" started on my inner thighs and had now spread all over my legs, butt, on the sides of my back it is now also on the sides of my arms. I will be interested to know ifc you find anything else out about this.
I seemed to have the same symptoms. I came down with the bumps on September 25, two days after I got a pet rabbit. They started on my stomach and spread to the underneath of my right arm and lower back and shoulder blades, then to my left arm, then to my upper legs, some on my calf muscles, and a few on my neck. I went to the family doctor once a week for 3 weeks, she thought at first it was tinea versicolor, I wasn't convinced. She had me use selsun blue shampoo for a week, that didn't help. Then, she sent me to a dermatologist. He was puzzled also. I took the rabbit back 3 weeks after I got her. The derm. took a biopsy from my right abdomen. I just went back to get the stiches out and my report was back.
Diagnosis "Superficial and deep lymphocyte mediated perivascular dermatitis with spongiosis and focal interface changes."
Comment "This is a nonspecific pattern of injury that can be seen with an allergic contact dermatitis as well as mucha-habermann disease."

My spots have gotten significatly better since the derm. put me on predisone for 10 days. They are almost gone. I don't have to wear turtlenecks anymore, just no 3/4 length sleeves quite yet, but I am improving greatly!