Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash and blisters inside my mouth

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash and blisters inside my mouth
I have several small clear blisters in the inside of my lips. I bit my lower lips very bad 3 days ago, and there is a larger cold sore looking blister in that area. However, I tried some new food today. About 1 hour later, it felt as though my top lip was numb. I noticed it was swollen. A red rash appeared in the inside of my upper lip. When I look closely, I can tell they are small clear blisters which are close together. My bottom lip is not red, however there are still about 15 clear blisters which are more spread apart. The blisters do not hurt. Is this an allergic reaction or something more serious? It does not seem like herpes. The only other symptom I have is that my lips feel very chapped and dry. It looks as though a few blisters may be appearing on the lips itself. This has all happened within 12 hours
You are right that this does not sound like herpes.  You say that you bit your lips--irritation and trauma can cause blisters like the ones you're describing.  I suggest that you apply some over-the-counter 1% hydrocortisone ointment twice a day, keep the lips moisturized, and avoid biting them.  If symptoms don't clear up in a week, show your doctor.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, scary was started.