Rash appears when touch skin!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rash appears when touch skin!

For the last year or more I've had problems with getting rashes. What normally happenes is that I will feel a bit of an itch (which can be anywhere on my body), so I idly lightly (and I mean very lightly) scratch it as you do. This then results in a very raised, extremely itchy, bright red, blister-like inflamed rash appearing in that spot. I know I should try not to scratch it any further but this can be difficult as it's so very, very itchy. Within an hour or so it's normally disappeared as quickly as it appeared. It's getting quite annoying now because it's got to the stage where a rash appears even if something just  brushes against my skin (for example, the rash developed down the side of my face because I accidentally touched it whilst brushing my hair the other day!).

I get this several times a day and it's starting to really get me down. The rash is so incredibly itchy when it appears, not to mention the fact that it looks awful. I get it anywhere on my body, but paticularly seem to get it on my hips, thighs, calves, buttocks, shoulders, neck and face (so pretty much everywhere). I really don't know what it is or what to do to stop it, I try my best not to scratch anything but even that doesn't work.

Does anybody have any ideas?
From your symptoms it looks like hives. Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. They have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in other places, often in a matter of hours.
Take some antihistaminics. You can use Benadryl at night as it causes drowsiness and other non sedating antihistaminics like Claritin and Zyrtec . Short courses of oral cortisone or steroids are taken for short periods (one to three days) to settle more severe symptoms.
You may take Vitamin C along with the prescribed treatment. Vitamin C is a general anti-allergy supplement. It helps stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release histamine. If the symptoms persist, then you can consult an immunologist. He may start with immunosuppressive drugs. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.