Rash around an old scar

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rash around an old scar

I cut the top of my foot open a few years ago and I occasionally get a rash on and around the scar.  I was outside with flip-flops on this past weekend doing light yardwork and then on Saturday I was at a football game and it was poring down rain.  Later that night my foot began itching on my scar. Over the last few days, it has been itchy really bad and a red rash has spread on the top of my foot.  I have been trying not to scratch it and have been putting cortisone and benadryl cream on it to reduce the itching.  It seems like it is getting worse and the rash is slightly swelling.  Should I go to the doctor to have them look at it or is there anything else I can do? It has happened one or twice before this.

For these symptoms, infection and cellulitis should be ruled out. Cellulitis is an acute infection of skin and soft tissues characterized by localized pain, swelling, tenderness, erythema, and warmth.It usually follows a break in the skin, such as a fissure, cut, laceration, insect bite, or puncture wound.

I suggest you to get it checked from a dermatologist as you may need oral or injectable antibiotics.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.