Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash around ears

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash around ears

I have a skin rash on my ears and neck. The problem first appeared nearly a year ago, and has reappeared every 2-3 months.

The rash begins on the lobes of my ears, becomes itchy, and proceeds to spread all over my ears. The day after it continues onto the neck area behind the ears. The first time was the worst with the rash spreading onto my face. The second time it remained concentrated in and around the ears. In both cases the rash cleared in about a week leaving no scars. There was no pain or discomfort besides itchiness. No flu/fever. The skin just becomes inflamed/red, somewhat scaly with miniscule bumps (not noticeably raised, no pus). This started after I had moved to a new apartment. Otherwise, no lifestyle changes or anything new.

I'm having this outbreak right now, and this time I noticed a similar rash on the top shaft of my penis. The skin appears lightly red over a small area and slightly itchy. Now I'm worried it might be herpes. However, I've honestly never had sexual contact (intercourse or oral) nor kissed a person on the lips so I'm not certain how I'd contract it.

Can anyone help or offer possibilities?

You'll need to see a doctor in person to diagnose this.  It most certainly is not herpes.  Rather than worry about, get it checked out.  If it's there now, get a good photo in case it's gone when you get your appointment.  It may be a form of urticaria, or hives.  Usually, these are not allergic and come and go as they please.  But to be sure, you'll need an appointment with a live skin doctor.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Also, currently the rash is just on the ears and neck behind the ears, and seems less severe then the previous two cases.
Look up Psorisis.