Rash around lips and chin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rash around lips and chin

My 10-year old out of know where has come up with a itchy dark red rash around his mouth and chin. It is a little painful. It just started a couple of days ago. He has never had anything like this before.
From the symptoms it looks like perioral dermatitis. It does not mean that you lick the lips, but it is due to that redness or erythema around the lips is common in lip lickers and hence the term. Treatment consists of topical and oral antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs. A mild soap or soap substitute, such as Dove or Cetaphil should be used for washing. Scrubbing should be avoided.

My sincere advice would be to get it evaluated from a dermatologist and also rule out eczema. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.